School GrantsGovernment Grants

Could Non-US Citizens Apply for a US Scholarship grant?

Many non-US citizens are eligible for a US scholarship grant. Just because you’re not born in the USA, doesn’t mean that you are not allowed to apply for a scholarship grant.

The category that is most eligible is the one of non-US citizens with a permanent residence in the US, or better explained, those people that have Green Card. But, there are other eligible categories too.

For example, if you find yourself in some of the next categories, you are an “eligible noncitizen”.

These groups are a US national which includes American Samoa and Swains Island too or you are a permanent resident of the US with some of these forms – I-552, I-151 and I-551C, which are Permanent Resident Card, Resident Card and Alien Registration Receipt Card. But, we all know them as a Green Card. The next group is if you have an I-94 which is an Arrival-Departure Record and is given from the USCIS – Citizen and Immigration Services. This form may show that you are a refugee, that you have an asylum granted, that you are a Cuban-Haitian entrant, a conditional entrant or a parolee. If you are a parolee, you must be paroled at least for a yea, and you must give evidence from USCIS that you are not in the US only for a temporal purpose but you are planning on becoming a US citizen.

You belong to the third group if you possess a T-visa or our parents have a T-1 visa. T-visa is given to victims of human trafficking. If you try to get a scholarship with this visa, the school or financial aid office may want to see the certification letter from the US Department of Health and Human Services too, not just the visa.

The next group is for “battered immigrant alien” who is a victim of human abuse by another citizen or his spouse, or is a child of a person which is the victim of such events.

The fifth group is for citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Palau and the Republic of the Marshall Islands. These citizens are eligible for a Federal Work and Study program, for Federal Pell Grant and for Federal Supplemental Educational Grants.

If your green card is expired, that doesn’t have to mean that your permanent residence is expired too. Maybe you’ll just have to renew the card and nothing more. But, if your residence is indeed expired, then you are not eligible for a US scholarship grant. If you are a Cuban-Haitian citizen, then you are still eligible for a scholarship grant, even if your residence status is expired. For every other group not mentioned as an exception, if the residence status is expired, they are no longer eligible for a scholarship grant.

If you have a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence”, if you are in the US with a F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 visa, and if you have a G visa, then you are not an eligible noncitizen.


Be Sociable, Share!